Nothing is more satisfying than the smell of homemade muffins wafting through the house. Today I just needed that homey smell. Yes! These are gluten-free. Although I don’t have a diagnosed sensitivity to gluten, I definitely notice that I become sluggish and I feel like my brain is foggy when I eat too much gluten. I’ve opted to go gluten free whenever possible.
So let me tell you about these muffins. I tend to use more fruit in my muffins which is why they appear flatter than normal. ( the fruit weighs the batter down) It’s just my personal preference. I always use fresh blueberries in my muffins. Frozen blueberries tend to make the batter runny making the muffins too moist and crumbly. When adding banana, make sure it isn’t too ripe. You want to be able to eat nice chunks of banana in your muffin!
I like to use organic ingredients in all of my baking and cooking. Sometimes that isn’t possible, and it’s okay! The gluten-free flour I use is King Arthur’s. It’s a rice based flour. I’ve tried different brands and this has proven to be the best, however it’s not organic. I always use organic blueberries; that way I know they are free of pesticides.
Gluten-Free Blueberry Banana Muffins
- 2 cups King Arthur Gluten-Free Flour
- 1 cup organic cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 2 organic, cage free eggs
- 1 cup organic milk
- 1 teaspoon organic pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups organic blueberries ( use less or more based on your preference)
- 1 large, firm banana cut into chunks
- With a blender, mix the butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla until well blended.
- Add your flour, sugar, baking soda and powder, and salt. Mix until just incorporated. Do not over mix.
- Using a spatula or spoon, add your blueberries and banana into the batter.
- Line your muffin tin with muffin wrappers and fill about 3/4 full with the batter.
- Bake at 350 for 20 minutes.
The ingredients for these muffins is a basic recipe that I always use. You can actually add any fruit you like. Experiment with your own personal tastes.