I was at a get together recently and a friend, who happens to be vegan, brought what he called Vegan Ceviche. This sounded interesting to me since ceviche, as I know it, is a delicious concoction of raw seafood in lime juice with onion, tomato. avocado, and cilantro.
This ceviche was served in a huge bowl with tortilla chips. I decided to give it a try and it was absolutely delicious. What a great alternative to your typical party dips. What really surprised me was it wasn’t drenched in dressing. It was flavored with fresh lime juice, salt, pepper, and fresh cilantro. That’s it!
It was the perfect party food for a summer afternoon. I wasn’t the only person who claimed their spot around this ceviche bowl of healthy deliciousness. My friend very willingly gave me the recipe so I could make it on my own. No I can’t take credit for this one, but I’d sure like to. I did, however, change the name of the recipe to Summer Vegetable Ceviche.
Summer Vegetable Ceviche
- 1 20 oz jar hearts of palm
- 2 medium tomatoes, chopped
- 1/2 red onion ( you can substitute scallions which I prefer)
- 1 yellow or orange pepper (or a little of both), chopped
- 1 small cucumber, chopped
- 1 bunch fresh cilantro, chopped
- 1 avocado ( it should be firm, not too ripe), sliced
- juice of 2 limes
- salt/pepper to taste
- tortilla chips for serving
- Drain water from the hearts of palm and chop into chunks. In a medium bowl combine the hearts of palm with the remaining ingredients.
- Deseed the avocado and slice into chunks. Stir the avocado into ceviche.
- Enjoy with chips or as a salad
When I made this at home I enjoyed it as a salad on a bed of greens. It was just as delicious but without the added calories of chips. I would definitely give this recipe a try. I think you will love it and so will your family and friends.
Thanks for reading and let me know how this turned out if you try it.