Pasta, garlic, butter, parmesan? How can you go wrong? Every now and again I like to limit the amount of animal protein I take in. By choice I only eat poultry and seafood. Vegetarian dishes can be just as hearty and delicious and this recipe is a winner!
I came across a basic recipe for Parmesan Garlic Pasta (thank you @damndelicious) and put my own spin on it by adding broccoli, sun dried tomatoes and basil. I also increased the amount of garlic and fresh herbs. The more garlic and herbs, the better in my opinion.
This recipe can be made vegan by adding butter and cheese substitutes. In addition, if you decide you want some protein, saute chicken or shrimp to add to the pasta. This recipe is very versatile. You can play around with different veggies like zucchini, mushrooms, red pepper, peas, onions….the list goes on.
Parmesan Garlic Pasta
- 8 oz thin spaghetti (half a box)
- 10 tablespoons butter (Earth Balance butter substitute to make vegan)
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2-1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (how much kick do you like?)
- small head of broccoli cut bite sized and steamed
- 1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes, rinsed
- 1/2 cup grated parmesan cheese (cheese substitute to make vegan)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil leaves
- Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
- In a large sauce pan, combine butter, garlic, and red pepper flakes over medium heat.
- whisk/stir constantly so garlic doesn’t burn about 4 minutes.
- Add steamed broccoli and sun dried tomatoes. Mix well.
- Remove from heat and stir in the pasta and parmesan cheese.
- Add salt and pepper if desired.
- Mix in parsley and basil
- Serve immediately.
Bon Appetite and happy cooking! Thanks for reading. Enjoy