Looking for dessert ideas for Easter? Try these Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies. For Easter I usually make Carrot Cake or some form of Cheesecake to have after dinner. A couple of years ago I decided to switch it up and made these delicious Whoopie Pies. Boy were they a hit!
This year instead of your traditional Easter dinner, the family decided to do brunch! I didn’t want to make a cake or cheesecake since they seem too heavy for a brunch. I remembered these Whoopie pies and thought they would be perfect. They taste exactly like carrot cake, but in the form of a soft, delicious cookie. Not too big and not too small. Perfect for brunch time.
Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies (adapted from Cooking Light magazine)
- 2 cups shredded carrot
- 1/2 cup & 3 tbsp packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 2 tbsp canola oil
- 1 tsp vanilla extract, divided
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3/8 tsp salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 4 oz cream cheese, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350. Cover two baking sheets with parchment.
- Combine shredded carrot and 3 tbsp brown sugar. Place in a sieve for 10 minutes over Bowl and let drain. Discard liquid.
- Microwave 2 tbsp butter in a medium bowl for 45 seconds.
- Add oil, 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and egg. Whisk until combined.
- Combine flour, 1/2 cup brown sugar, cinnamon, 1/4 tsp salt, and baking soda in a large bowl. Stir.
- Add shredded carrots and butter mixture. Stir until just combined.
- Drop dough by tablespoonfuls on the cookie sheets (14 per sheet).
- Bake at 350 for about 11 minutes.
- Let cool completely
- Combine cream cheese, 2 tbsp butter, and 1/2 tsp vanilla extract, and 1/8 tsp salt in a medium bowl
- Beat with a hand mixer until fluffy.
- Add powdered sugar and beat until combined.
- Spread or pipe about 1 tablespoon of icing on flat side of cookie.
- Top with another cookie flat side down.
Sprinkling brown sugar on the shredded carrot will help to break it down so it will be soft and not fibrous after baking.
Yum, delicious! Carrot cake goodness in the form of a cookie. I hope you enjoy these, my family sure does. Thanks for reading and happy baking.
3 thoughts on “Carrot Cake Whoopie Pies”
These look so yummy! Thanks for sharing! I made a fantastic New York style cheesecake which you can check out here if you’re a fan of cheesecakes like I am 🙂
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thank you! I do love cheesecake and yours looks delicious.
LikeLiked by 1 person