I’ve been experimenting with breakfast lately. Typically my breakfast consists of Greek yogurt, blueberries, and a bit of granola for texture. Every now and again my husband and I like to indulge a bit and change things up.
I love French Toast. Usually I add a little vanilla extract and cinnamon to my egg batter. It enhances the French Toast giving it an extra yummy flavor even before adding butter and syrup. This time I decided to use Brioche and make a Blueberry Compote.
I’ve never eaten Brioche, but have always heard how delicious it is. This bread has a high content of eggs and butter giving it a rich and soft texture. I actually ate a piece right out of the bag before dipping it in the egg batter.
For the egg batter I usually use about 4 eggs, 1 tsp vanilla and 1 tsp cinnamon.
Now on to the Blueberry Compote. Prepare the Compote before making your French Toast.
- 2 cups frozen blueberries (organic if possible)
- 3 tbsp water
- 1/4 sugar (organic cane if possible)
- 2 tsp lemon juice
- Combine 1 cup of the blueberries, water, sugar, and lemon juice.
- Cook over medium heat for about 10 minutes stirring occasionally.
- Add the rest of the blueberries and cook for about 5-8 minutes.
- Transfer to a serving bowl.
After preparing the French Toast, top with some butter and the Blueberry Compote. This makes for a delicious breakfast. Prefect for Spring time. Actually, perfect anytime.
Enjoy and let me know how you like it.